After more than 20 years as counsel at a large national law firm, I recently became the sole proprietor of my own firm, with a practice focused on providing strategic legal advice in the areas of regulatory compliance and enforcement; permitting, licencing and environmental assessment; environmental appeals; and the development and implementation of environmental law and policy to promotes environmental protection and sustainability. My practice includes all aspects of environmental law, with particular emphasis on wildlife, water, and environmental protection.
I am a leading practitioner in the federal and provincial regulation of wildlife, including terrestrial species, migratory birds, fisheries and endangered species. I advise clients regarding the implication of wildlife laws for their operations, help them develop practical solutions for maintaining compliance with obligations to protect both species and their habitats, and have successfully represented clients in endangered species litigation matters.
I am the author of Blakes Canadian Law of Endangered Species, a two-volume, 15-chapter, annotated work, covering the regulation of endangered species throughout Canada, which is updated annually.
I have experience working with a range of clients in the forestry, mining, manufacturing, agriculture, urban development, energy, and transportation industries, helping them to navigate the often complex and continuously evolving field of environmental law. My previous practice was in both litigation and corporate/commercial aspects of environmental law, including environmental assessment, permitting and licencing, due diligence for complex transactions, federal and provincial regulatory investigations and prosecutions, administrative penalty hearings, and appeals of regulatory decisions and penalties.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Co-chair, Environmental Law Forum
- Instructor: Environmental Law, Langara College
- Member: CBA, National Environmental, Energy and Resources Law Section
Awards and recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Environmental and Natural Resources)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Environmental)
- Chambers Canada: Canada’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Environmental)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Environmental)
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada (Environmental)
- LLB. University of British Columbia 1998
- MSc. Brigham Young University 1980
- BA. Saint Mary’s University 1979